This candidate should be capable of independently designing and configuring a substation protection and control system. This also includes the technical reports such as a protection study, the derivation of the various protection parameters, battery bank/charger sizing reports, cable reticulations, etc. It is mandatory the candidate has protection experience with either transmission (>72kV), and/or distribution (<72kV) applications. This individual must also be capable of configuring and parameterizing the protection IEDs, and be capable of operating an Omicron CMC test set while completing/overseeing the FAT/SAT services. The candidate should specify their experience with IEC 61850.
The candidate should specify (%, etc) which of the following aspects of the value chain they are most proficient with:
- Planning: Developing protection studies, grading reports, IED selection, conducting load flow studies, short circuit analysis, CT adequacy reports, etc. If the candidate has experience with generator protection, this should be specified.
- Design: Review the detailed protection and control design, while managing the various support services, including drafters, document controllers, etc. Reviewing the AC/DC schematics, block logic diagrams, I/O lists, cable/wire schedules, single line diagrams, etc. If the candidate has hands-on experience working with ACAD tools – specifically ElecDes – this would be of value.
- Parameterization: Programming the IEDs and completing any bench-top testing. They should also be capable of managing the interface between the site commissioning crew and the office crew. The candidate should specify which OEM relays they are most proficient with. (e.g. GE, SEL, Siemens, Alstom, Schneider, etc). If the candidate has experience with DIGSI5/SIPROTEC5 IEDs, this is a plus and should be specified.
- Commissioning: Conducting the necessary FAT testing and provide support to internal and external commissioning crews. The candidate will also be asked to assist in the Tesco’s IEC 61850 Development Lab, so they should be very familiar with commissioning procedures, inspection and test plans, etc.
- Sales: There may be occasions where the candidate may need to participate in the technical sales and attend customer meetings, etc, so the candidate should specify whether they’ve spent more time in the back-office or the front-office. They may also be required to assist in technical support, so the candidate should specify whether they’re more versed in trouble-shooting brownfield applications versus building greenfield sites, etc.